Canoeing and kayaking have been a part of Canadian Heritage for hundreds of years. Originally designed for transportation throughout Canada but have evolved over the years to create many disciplines.
Flatwater style canoeing and kayaking is meant to be fast and exciting. Both styles require their own specific skills but once mastered can offer a fun activity and a great way to stay in shape!
When most people think of canoeing they think of 14ft pleasure canoes that you can take out on a day trip with your family. Our club focuses on high kneeling canoeing, which is designed for racing and going fast. This is an exciting style of canoeing and incorporates single boats, tandem, 4-persons boats and War Canoe (14 people).
Similar to canoeing, sprint kayaking is also designed for speed. Our typical kayak is made of fiberglass so its lightweight and more narrow than your typical cottage kayak. Overall there a great way to get a great workout in on the water and have fun! We offer singles kayaks along with doubles and quads.
2017 U15 SPRINT CANOE AND KAYAK SPRING & SUMME – FULL DAYS or Half Day
Register here –> 2017 PRCC U15 Program registration – Registration is open
PRCC is excited to start its U15 Program once again this year. We are looking forward to another fun and safe summer of paddling on Frenchman’s Bay in Pickering. This program includes spring training!
Spring Training runs from May 15 to July 4th, M,T,W,Th 4:15-5:45. The summer session starts July 4 and runs for 7 weeks. The full day program runs M-F 9:00-4:00. The half day program runs M-F 9:00-1:00
Below are some of the key features of the program, based around Canoe/Kayak Canada’s (CKC) model for Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD). The programs main goals are as follows:
- Provide a fun and safe environment for all participating athletes (coed)
- All equipment is provided
- Teach both beginner and experienced paddlers the fundamentals of sprint canoe/kayak
- Provide opportunity for athletes to train and compete in a variety of team boats and individual boats (singles)
- Teach all participants the basics of training in canoe/kayak, including introduction to aerobic and speed training on and off the water
- Provide opportunity for all participants to compete divisionally and provincially
The day-to-day activities within the program will include:
- Morning meet and greet
- Morning warm up including dry land activities such as jogging and dynamic stretching
- Games as a group including volleyball, pickle, frisbee, jack-pot, relay races and much more
- Multiple on water sessions including time in team boats, singles or big boats (War Canoe)
- Designated lunch time supervised by coaches
- Additional activates such as time in fun boats (non-racing boats), swimming, beach activities, etc…
- Weekly BBQ on Fridays!
The program supports a wide variety of age groups ranging from 10-15 years old. We strive to provide a fun and safe environment for all in which participants can learn a new sport as well as life skills. Should you have any further questions regarding the program do not hesitate to ask. We look forward to seeing everyone on the water this summer. Paddles Up!!